Creating innovative products and concepts with great designers is Vitra’s essence. They are developed in Switzerland and installed worldwide by architects, companies and private users to build inspirational spaces for living, working and shopping as well as public areas.
With its classics Vitra represents groundbreaking 20th century design. Today, in combining technical and conceptual expertise with the creativity of contemporary designers, Vitra seeks to continue pushing the boundaries of the design discipline.
A family business for eighty years, Vitra believes in lasting relationships with customers, employees and designers, durable products, sustainable growth and the power of good design.
The Vitra Campus with buildings by some of the world’s leading architects and the Vitra Design Museum with its exhibitions on design and architecture, design archives and a comprehensive furniture collection are all part of Vitra. They inspire visitors, inform the design process and create an atmosphere in which innovation flourishes.
Born in 1908, George Nelson studied architecture at Yale University and later at the American Academy in Rome with a scholarship between 1932 and 1934. He opened his own office George Nelson Associates, Inc. in 1974 and here, worked with important names such as Irving Harper, Ernest Farmer, Gordon Chadwick, George Tscherny, and Don Ervin. The objects he designed during that period became the modernism icons of the 1950s. In addition to his own company, Nelson also started working at Herman Miller the Director of Design until 1972 where he became an important figure of American design. Vitra’s founder Willi Fehlbaum signed its first license agreement with Herman Miller in 1957 to produce furniture in the American market. During the years of his collaboration with Vitra, Nelson developed a close friendship with Fehlbaum. Nelson passed away in New York in 1986. His properties at Vitra Design Museum include nearly 7,400 manuscripts, plans, sketches, photographs and slides the designer created from 1924 to 1984.