Founded in 1954 by Aurelio Zanotta, the company’s initial focus was on the production of sofas and armchairs, surpassing the artisan tradition of upholstering workshops - which would normally refer to the production of upholstered furniture - and turning attention towards a design “culture”
1970s commenced some forward-thinking, and for those years evidently visionary, re-edition projects. Zanotta approached the works of the father of Italian rationalism, Giuseppe Terragni, and within the span of a few years the Sant’Elia armchair, the Lariana and the Follia chairs entered the catalogue, being the latter the icon of the company for many years.
Choosing from the past projects that are still relevant in the present became over time a common reoccurring theme of Zanotta, retrieving objects by Max Bill, Giuseppe Pagano, Gino Levi Montalcini, Piero Bottoni, Carlo Mollino, Joe Colombo and many others. All the “historic pieces” allowed Zanotta to construct a thread of continuity throughout its own collection with a glorious past, whilst also giving body to a project aimed at creating within the catalogue a micro-history of the evolution of Italian Design in the furniture industry, commencing from the beginning of the twentieth century.